CSPS Hall of Saint Paul, Minnesota
Long a fixture in the West 7th Street area of Saint Paul, the CSPS Hall has served as a gathering place for Bohemian immigrants. The parent organization Česko-Slovanský Podporující Spolek – Czech- Slovak Protective Society (Č.S.P.S.) was founded as a fraternal insurance organization in St. Louis in 1854. The Saint Paul branch was founded and the building occupied in 1887. A number of Capitol construction workers, most notably John Rachac, belonged to the CSPS Hall. At present, the hall is a wonderful repository of historical information about Czech immigrants and their lives here in Minnesota.
For further information about the history of the CSPS Hall and some of its present day activities see: Sokol Minnesota and CSPS Hall.